Skip to main content

Brexit - in terms of immigration and social security in Sweden and the UK

Immigration and social security in Sweden and the UK

Immigration British citizen in Sweden

According to the withdrawal agreement concluded in January 2020, British citizens largely had the same rights as before during the transition period which ended 31 December 2020. During this period they could live, work, and study in Sweden without the requirement for a work and residence permit. According to the exit agreement, British citizens who have the right of residence in Sweden before 31 December 2020 must continue to retain the right to live, work, and study in Sweden. On  November 11, 2020, the Swedish parliament decided on supplementary rules to the Aliens Act and the Swedish Citizenship Act, which make this possible. These supplementary rules mean that British citizens who live and work in Sweden must, together with their family members, before the end of the transition period apply to the Swedish Migration Board for a new type of right to stay in Sweden called residence status. The person granted residence status will be subject to the same provisions on expulsion and deportation as EEA nationals. A granted residence status shall also, in the application of the Act (2001: 82) on Swedish citizenship, be equated with the possession of a permanent residence permit. The new rules apply from 1 December 2020.

British citizens who move to Sweden after 31 December 2020 are covered by the same rules as other third-country nationals and cannot apply for residence status.

Immigration of Swedish citizen in the UK

In the UK, there are several different variations of residence permits. However, similar to the situation for British citizens in Sweden, the same agreement on equal rights applies to EU citizens in the United Kingdom. EU citizens residing and staying in the UK before 31 December 2020 will continue to retain the right to live, work and study in the UK if an application for the new residency status is granted. An application must be submitted no later than 30 June 2021. Even if you already hold a permanent residence permit, PR, you need to apply for the new "settled status" as PR is not valid after 31 December 2020. If you hold the residence permit "indefinite leave to remain ”, ILR, you do not need to apply for“ settled status ”. Possession of "settled status", however, gives increased rights compared to ILR.

If you do not apply, it may mean that you are not allowed to stay in the country after June 30, 2021.

Social insurance and Brexit

A new agreement has been made between the EU and the UK. The new agreement regulates, among other things, the coordination of social security and will be applied to situations that occur from 1 January 2021.

The agreement means that there will be different regulations governing social security when a person moves between Sweden and the United Kingdom for residence, work or study. What regulatory framework to be used depends on the time when the transfer between countries has taken place.

Försäkringskassan in Sweden have more information.

Accountor has experts updated on the business impact of Brexit and can help you with both information and hands-on support.