Skip to main content
Bosättningskrav Brexit

Does your company fulfil the requirements of residence after Brexit?

Company requirements of residence after Brexit. The UK left EU on January 31, 2020. And from January 1, 2021 the UK also left the EEA (European Economic Area). If you have officials in your company resident in the UK this may have consequences for your company.

A certain number of the officials in Swedish limited companies as well as economic associations are required to be resident within the EEA (European Economic Area). Does your company or your economic association have officials that are resident in the UK? After January 1, 2021 your company might no longer fulfil the Swedish requirements of residence.

Which officials are required to reside in the EEA?

The following persons in a Swedish limited company or Swedish economic association must reside within the EEA:

  • at least half of the board members.
  • at least half of the deputy board members.
  • the managing director.
  • all deputy managing directors.
  • at least one of the specially authorised signatories.


The following officials of a branch must reside within the EEA:

  • the managing director
  • all deputy managing director


What can be done if you do not comply?

Appoint new officials at the company’s general meeting to meet the requirements of residency and file for registration with the SCRO “Bolagsverket”. You can file for registration in their e-service “” or using a printed application form.
You may also apply for an exemption from the residency requirements with Bolagsverket, using the form
Application for exemption from the requirement of residence within EEA because of Brexit, no 814 B. nr 814 B. 

Accountor can help you with both information and assistance. We can help with the appointment and registration of new officials or if you need to apply for exemption from the residency requirements. Accountor can also help with payroll, accounting, HR,  and tax consultants also follow the development of Brexit. Accountor helps you with, payroll, accounting, HR, corporate service och tax advice. No matter which areas will be affected by Brexit, we will keep track of the ones that applies to you. Please contact us if you would like to know how we can help you.  

We are happy to help. Please contact us and we will tell you more.