Skip to main content

Starting a business as a non EU citizen

If you want to launch an innovative company (startup) in The Netherlands as a non EU citizen then you might be able to apply for a Dutch startup visa or a self-employment version.

You can find more information on:

rechtsvormen in Nederland

The Dutch startup visa  and the self employment scheme

The startup visa is a special one-year residence permit for ambitious non-EU entrepreneurs, who want to launch a startup business in the Netherlands. The startup visa is only granted if:

-the product or service is innovative
-there is a collaboration with a reliable and experienced facilitator
-there is a step by step plan to move from idea to business
-both companies are registered in the Trade Register of the Chamber of Commerce
-there are sufficient financial means to be able to reside and live in The Netherlands.

More information can be found on:

At the end of the startup visa year, you can continue running your startup business under the self-employment scheme.

For the Dutch startup visa you are obliged to work together with a Dutch mentor (facilitator). A contract between the startup entrepreneur and facilitator is a necessity.

For the self-employment scheme a facilitator is not required but you need to submit several documents such as a  proper business plan, proof of income and education. The IND and RVO are the organizations that will assess this based on a  rating system.

Finding a facilitator for a startup visa
One of the conditions of the startup residence permit is that you work together with a business mentor: a facilitator. The startup entrepreneur and the facilitator must establish their partnership in a (signed) agreement.

The facilitator provides the startup entrepreneur with a tailor-made package of support depending on the specific needs of the startup entrepreneur. The facilitator may, for example, help with operational management. They may also help with marketing, research and investing acquisition for setting up an innovative business.


Recognized facilitators:
You can find these via

We are not a facilitator and not a company that can assist you with visa, permits etc. 
With regard to residence permits you can check with the IND via

Accountor and their services

You can use the assistance of Accountor in The Netherlands for the activities mentioned underneath:

To register your company in the Netherlands, you will need to make an appointment with the Netherlands Chamber of Commerce (Kamer van Koophandel or KVK), or use the services of  Accountor to arrange this for you.

We will advise you with regard  to the type of legal business structure  for your business. Once the company is registered, the Chamber of Commerce will forward your details to the Tax and Customs Administration (Belastingdienst) so that they can issue you with a tax and if needed a VAT number.

Bank Account

If you plan to start doing business in the Netherlands, you will also need to have or apply for a business bank account (IBAN). The Dutch Banking Association has created a Quick Scan to help you find out if you are eligible.

To handle financial business transactions in the Netherlands you will need a Dutch business bank account. Leading banks in the Netherlands are ABN AMRO, ING and Rabobank.

Besides a business account, you will also need a personal bank account.
For non-EU residents, your citizen service number (BSN), 
an extract of your business registration and your residence permit is required when opening a personal bank account.

Accounting and salary administration

Accountor can assist you with the setup of an accounting system in Exact Online and will take care of the day-to-day accounting, VAT related reporting and the annual reporting to the authorities.

Payroll requires a wage tax number and monthly reporting to the tax authorities, Accountor can provide a full service concept to arrange this for you.