Skip to main content

The fiscal measures:( 19/3/2020)

Deferred payment and tax interest reduction

Affected entrepreneurs can more easily apply for a deferment of tax. The Tax Authorities will then immediately stop the collections. This applies to income, corporate, wage and turnover taxes (VAT). Any default penalties for late payment do not have to be paid. Moreover, it is not necessary to send evidence immediately. The entrepreneur gets longer to do this. The recovery interest that normally starts after the expiry of the payment term is temporarily reduced from 4% to almost 0%. This applies to all tax debts. The rate of the tax interest also temporarily goes to almost 0%. This reduction will apply to all taxes subject to tax interest. The government will adjust the tax rate as soon as possible

Companies affected by the coronavirus can now appeal for deferral of payment for income tax, corporate tax, turnover tax (VAT) and payroll taxes. You need to send a letter to the Tax Authorities (Belastingdienst) and apply for deferral of payment and explain how you got into payment problems due to the corona outbreak. As soon as the Tax Authorities have received your request, they will stop their recovery measures without adding the usual fine for not paying VAT or payroll taxes on time. The Tax Authorities will also ask you to add a third party statement, a third party can be an external consultant, an external financial partner, a trade association, your own accountant or tax service provider. The timeline set for this is a maximum of 4 weeks. What should be in the third party expert's statement is still under discussion. More information will be shared as soon as it is available.

Update as of 19-3, no statement is required for a 3-month extension. If you want to postpone for more than 3 months, a third-party statement is required.

Send your deferral request with motivation and (possibly later) the third party expert's statement to:

Postbus 100
6400 AC Heerlen

Note: deferral of payment is not equal to deferral of filing your tax assessment. That obligation is still active.

Possibility to decrease the preliminary tax assessment

Do you expect a lower profit due to the corona outbreak and are you now paying a provisional income tax or corporate tax assessment? You can then change your preliminary assessment by reducing your income to lower the tax immediately. If the amount of the new preliminary assessment is less than the tax you already paid in the first months of the year, you will be refunded the difference.

  • For income tax, you can change the preliminary assessment via Mijn Belastingdienst.

    For corporation tax, you can change your preliminary assessment in 3 ways:
  • by using the form accessible via the portal on: Mijn Belastingdienst Zakelijk. Log in for companies, choose Mijn Belastingdienst Zakelijk and log in with eHerkenning.
  • In case you are not able to use Mijn Belastingdienst Zakelijk? Please fill out the form: 'Verzoek of wijziging voorlopige aanslag vennootschapsbelasting 2020' via this link this website
  • By using your commercial software tool or ask your tax consultant to do this for you.

If you now adjust your preliminary assessment and indicate that you no longer expect profit for the rest of the year, this may have consequences for your final assessment. At this moment you already pay part of the tax that you should pay for this year every month. The Tax authorities will settle this afterwards with the final assessment. In case you have overpaid it will be refunded and the opposite. 

If you make a profit in the rest of the year, it is best to change your preliminary assessment again. This prevents you from having to pay additional costs with your final assessment.

Postponement of energy taxation/ODE

The government intends to temporarily postpone the energy taxation and/or the taxation on storage of renewable energy (ODE) for companies in the 2nd 3rd and 4th  tax bracket. How this can be designed is under further investigation.

Cessation tourist tax

The possibility of ending (provisional) taxation and the withdrawal of already imposed assessments will be discussed by the Government and the local authorities (VNG) This for example concerns the tourist tax.

Any questions? Contact us.